Bethesda Maryland History
Located just outside of Washington, DC, Bethesda - Chevy Chase is a great place for locals to enjoy a delicious meal with friends or stop by Montgomery County, Maryland. Bethesda is considered one of the wealthiest communities in the United States, as many people work in Washington D.C. and choose to live in quieter suburbs of Bethesda. According to the 2000 Census, it is the second and best-educated city in Maryland, after Baltimore, and home to some of Maryland's best-educated cities, including Baltimore City, Baltimore County and Maryland State University. According to the 2000 Census, Skyrim, a suburb of Bethesda, Md., was Bethesda's third and wealthiest city, behind Baltimore and Washington DC, and the fourth wealthiest.
A tram line was established in 1890, but it was not until the early 20th century that Bethesda began to gain population. Suburbanization increased in the late 19th century, when the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Expressway, Maryland's first public transportation system, was opened, and it was only after the construction of Bethesda's first high-speed rail line in 1900 that the population began to grow.
The new residents of Bethesda and Chevy Chase needed a place to shop, so they came to the new downtown Bethesda. As Bethesda began to grow, many developers came to the city to find a better way to buy real estate.
This included Bethesda's first public library, the Bethesda Public Library, which was completed in 1910. The industry had several sidings that served the Bethesda industries in the early 20th century. From Silver Spring to Georgetown, it ran along the Potomac River and passed through Bethesda on its way to Bethesda.
In the 17th century, rural tobacco cultivation was the most important way of life in Bethesda, but The creation of Washington, D.C. in the 1790s stripped Montgomery County of its economic center. Bethesda farmers suffered an economic setback when both Georgetown and Montgomery lost their economic centers when Washington DC was established as the federal capital. These events had little impact on Bethesda's small farmers, owing to their proximity to the Potomac River.
The first land grant in Bethesda was a 710-acre piece of land surveyed by Henry Darnell in 1694. The extractive nature of tobacco cultivation led the colonists to move further north in search of fertile land. As tobacco quickly deprived the country of nutrients, the colonists pushed northwest until they found fertile soil. This migration actually led to the founding of a new city, Bethesda, Maryland, in the early 17th century, but not before the 1790s. In 1695, the first year Bethesda was settled by the Maryland State Police, and in 1694 he provided the 711 acres of land that became part of what became Bethesda County, Maryland, the largest city in Maryland with a population of about 1,500.
The 290-hectare area was surveyed in 1694 by Henry Darnall (1645 - 1711), which became the first land allocation in Bethesda. The area of what is now Bethesda became a rural road station along the Washington-Rockville Turnpike, transporting tobacco and other products to Georgetown, Rock County and north to Frederick. In the 17th century, tobacco cultivation was the most important way of life for Bethesda, and the early settlers in the area were Indian farmers who settled in Bethesda to pay their lease on tobacco.
A freight rail line brought new economic growth to the tracks when a station and loading and unloading station were built at Bethesda and Rockville Railroad Station (now Bethesda Station), located on the north side of the Washington - Bethesda Turnpike, north of Bethesda Road. A dense development followed in the area, about one kilometer south of its original location, and a period of economic growth in Bethesda from the 18th century to the early 20th century.
Bethesda remained a small village built at the intersection, and during its early existence it was a "small town," as one of its early residents put it, with a population of about 1,000 people. Bethesda was built in the late 18th and early 19th centuries and consisted of a town hall, church, elementary school, schoolhouse and public library.
In 1999 Joan Carroll was appointed the new principal of North Bethesda Middle School, which reopened as Tilden Middle School and has grown to 1,250 students since then. The school has been in operation since its opening in September 1937 and today has about 1,500 students who have registered for about 2,000 students in the current school year.
After the local Presbyterian church was built in 1820, the new postmaster changed its name to Bethesda. The Presbyterian church was built, and the postmaster Robert Franck renamed the settlement after him. After the construction of the parish church, it was renamed "Bethesda" by the new postmaster, Robert Franck.
Two years later, in 1947, the Bethesda Country Club Corporation bought the property, and the facility, now called Bethesda Country Club, began its illustrious history when it acquired it from the Washington Aviation Country Club. The group formed and began operations with an ambulance donated by the Bethesda Civitan Club. Two members of the original Bethesda Civitan Club, William and Mary, joined the group's first annual golf tournament in the early 1950s.